St. David Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Plan and Protocol for Regathering In-Person
As a mission church of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Washington we will abide by our Bishop’s guidance for regathering in-person.
The Episcopal Diocese of Olympia COVID-19 Guidance is as follows: https://ecww.org/covid-19-requirements-recommendations-and-resources/
This Diocesan guidance may be more prudent and restrictive than the CDC, State, or County.
The current Washington State COVID-19 requirements for religious and faith-based organizations are as follows: https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/COVID19%20Religious%20and%20Faith%20Based%20Organization%20Guidance.pdf
The below stated plans and protocols will be implemented only by approval of the Bishop, or his designees, and the St. David Emmanuel Bishop’s Committee when it is safe to proceed with in-person worship and other approved meetings. All groups using St. David Emmanuel property for their worship or meetings will need to attest in writing that they agree to abide by this document, the linked documents, and any appendices.
We plan to hold one in-person service at 9:00 a.m. each Sunday, beginning July 11, 2021. This assumes our State and County will be in Phase 4 on that date and may be affected by Diocesan, State, and County guidance at that time. Our plan also prepares for regathering in-person if we are still in Phase 3. Other groups utilizing St. David Emmanuel property may resume their worship and meetings on July 11, 2021, or later, as long as they have agreed in writing to our plan, as mentioned in the first paragraph above.
Capacity at each service or meeting will be limited to a maximum of 50% of approved capacity. Nave: (154), which is 77, including clergy and worship leaders. Parish Hall: (150), which is 75. Portables: (36), which is 18. These numbers will be adjusted as conditions allow.
We will continue to offer our St. David Emmanuel services on Zoom from the sanctuary. Those in high-risk groups and those with symptoms are encouraged to worship via Zoom. A secure, high-speed internet connection will be made available to those groups who wish to use it. They will need to provide their own audio-video equipment.
Preparing for Sunday Service
- All worshipers will self-assess for COVID-19 symptoms before attending worship. They will also fill out and sign the COVID-19 Event Disclosure and Screening Form (Appendix A).
- If anyone is sick or showing any symptoms of COVID-19 or has come into contact with anyone who has exhibited symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days, they will remain at home.
- If an attendee is diagnosed with COVID-19 up to two weeks after attending worship, they should notify Father Tom immediately. (email@example.com 425-999-9708)
- The building has been professionally cleaned and will continue to be cleaned regularly.
- Sanitation stations are set up to provide: hand sanitizer, disposable masks, disinfectant wipes, facial tissue, and disposable gloves. Trash receptacles are placed by each sanitation station. Hand sanitizer is available throughout the seating area for ease of access.
- Signs are posted indicating sanitation and safety procedures and guidelines. Examples include: hand washing, social distancing, etc.
- Face masks will be worn prior to entering the church and at all times while inside with the following exceptions: while singing, while reading a lesson or prayers, and while celebrating the Eucharist.
- The door handles to the doors of the narthex, nave and restrooms will be cleaned prior to opening, and most doors and some windows will be open to provide adequate ventilation.
- Visitors attending the service will be asked to fill out the COVID-19 Event Disclosure and Screening Form (Appendix A), which will be available in the narthex. They will also be offered a mask if they do not have one.
- Ushers will check to ensure that everyone is wearing a mask and encourage hand sanitizing.
- Bulletins will be available in the narthex for individuals to pick up after they have sanitized their hands
- Worshipers will enter and move immediately into the nave to be seated.
- During The Peace, worshipers will refrain from physical contact
- The Offering plate will be available at the back of the nave until the service ends. Counters will utilize safe distancing procedures.
- We will follow our Bishop’s guidance for Holy Communion. https://files.constantcontact.com/bc60d568001/b2adbc9c-65f4-408d-a9be-71ee391002b1.pdf
- Pews are positioned at 6-foot distances between families. The ushers will maintain a contact tracing list of all attendees each week for 14 days after each service.
- Worshipers will remain seated until the conclusion of the Postlude.
- The kitchen and Parish Hall will remain closed before and after worship services until further notice. Those attending should plan to leave the church space without delay after the Postlude concludes.
Other Sunday Morning Considerations
- If a worshiper refuses to wear a mask in the building, the person will be asked to remain outside, and encouraged to attend the service via Zoom.
- Worshipers must notify the church if they have been diagnosed with COVID-19 up to two weeks after worshiping. All those who attended the service with them will be notified by phone. A notice will be sent to the entire congregation via email within 24 hours of the notification. The name of the person diagnosed with the virus will not be disclosed under any circumstances except as required by health officials.
- Attendance records will be maintained at the church for 14 days after each worship service for contact tracing purposes.
- Ushers will receive guidance on the greeting and attendance procedures. Pre and post-service sanitation procedures will include use of chlorine wipes on all surfaces used during the service.
For Guest Organizations to Use St. David Emmanuel Facilities
Before any group (e.g., the Korean and Guatemalan Congregations, 12-Step groups, or others) can use the SDE facility, they shall acknowledge in writing (Appendix B) the receipt and understanding of this COVID-19 plan, its links and appendices, and agree to adhere to them. (Translations will be made available if needed.) Each group will document their own conforming plans and ensure that all requirements are met:
- Each group shall provide a contact person for communicating all things COVID-19 to and from your group to an SDE representative and must provide their contact information.
- This contact person, or designee, should monitor each event or activity and ensure the above protocols are being followed.
- Maintain a contact tracing process and record (Appendix A or something similar) for all in attendance and retain for at least 14 days.
- Ensure that cleaning and disinfecting requirements are met.
- Replenish sanitation stations used with equivalent products at the close of each meeting OR provide your own equivalent products. Those groups choosing to bring their own sanitation products should remove them at the close of each meeting.
- Our kitchen will remain closed until further notice. No communal coffee or beverage station may be brought in. Only individual serving sizes of water, soft drinks, coffee or tea may be brought in and consumed. However, any disposable cups or garbage must be removed at the end of the meeting.
- Garbage removal from St. David Emmanuel property is the responsibility of each group leader or designated representative.
- Ensure that the number of attendees does not exceed state mandate for phase 3. Nave: (154 at 50%=77). Parish Hall: (150 at 50%=75). Portables: (36 at 50% =18)
This document will be updated and revised as the guidelines change. The Priest and the Bishop’s Committee will ensure that these protocols and guidelines are followed and make necessary changes as needed or directed by the Office of the Bishop.
Appendix A: COVID-19 Event Disclosure and Screening Form
|Church/Organization:||St. David Emmanuel, Shoreline|
|Date of Event:|
|Name of Participant:|
Considering recent events, the health and wellbeing of everyone in our community is our paramount concern. Therefore, all participants at the above event are required to sign one of these forms and agree to voluntarily assume any risk of physically participating at this event.
Before attending, you agree that:
- I understand my attendance and participation in the above event can pose a risk of COVID-19 or other contagious or infectious diseases to me, and if I am a high-risk person, as defined by the CDC, I should stay home and avoid participation;
- If I have been recently exposed to COVID-19, I understand that I may pose a risk to others.
- I attest to the following:
- To my knowledge, I have not been in close or proximate contact with anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- I have not and no one in my household has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- I have not experienced symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days, including but not limited to fever (temperature 100.4 and above), fatigue, difficulty breathing, sore throat, muscle aches, or dry cough.
- I have not attended gatherings in the past 14 days where those attending did not practice social distancing or wear masks.
- If there is a confirmed COVID-19 infection, my information may be shared with Public Health officials to engage in an approved contact tracing program. I understand that my information will be saved, and my information may be released to such Public Health Officials in the event it is needed for such a program.
- I agree to follow all social distancing protocols in place at this event or activity and agree to wear a face mask while attending this event.
Your participation in person at this event is conditioned upon your acceptance and agreement to the above.
Thank you for helping us keep our community safe and healthy. We are all in this together!
Appendix B: St. David Emmanuel, Shoreline Guest Organization Facility Use Agreement
Considering recent events, the health and wellbeing of everyone in our community is our paramount concern. Therefore, as the designated group leader for my guest organization, I agree that I have read and understand this document, its links and appendices and that I, and the participants from my organization, intend to adhere to them. I understand that where there are any differences between the CDC, Washington State, King County, or Episcopal Diocese of Western Washington guidelines, the guidelines of the Episcopal Diocese and St. David Emmanuel will prevail. I understand that this plan will remain in effect until further notice and may be amended as needed.
|Signature and Date:|